Advanced surgical care across a range of specialties is available close to home.
Health Quest Medical Practice
Division of Surgery
21 Reade Place, Suite 101, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
6511 Springbrook Avenue, West Wing, Suite 101, Rhinebeck, NY 12572
The surgical team at Health Quest Medical Practice and surgeons on the medical staff of Vassar Brothers Medical Center (VBMC), Northern Dutchess Hospital (NDH) and Putnam Hospital Center (PHC) give you access to today’s leading-edge surgical techniques without the need to travel outside the Mid-Hudson Valley.
State-of-the-Art Robotic Surgery
When you or a loved one needs surgery, you want access to the latest surgical options close to home. The da Vinci® Surgical System, available at Vassar Brothers Medical Center, Northern Dutchess Hospital and Putnam Hospital Center, offers quicker recovery, less pain and more precision compared to standard, minimally invasive surgical techniques. And the specialists at Health Quest have extensive experience with this technique, performing more robotic surgeries than any other health system in the Hudson Valley.*
Known for its unparalleled precision, the da Vinci Surgical System allows your surgeon* to make smaller incisions with more precision and greater control while giving your surgeon a better view with a 3D magnified camera.
The da Vinci can be used for a variety of surgeries, including:
- Colorectal surgery to treat colorectal cancers, early rectal tumors, pelvic dysfunction, rectal prolapse, rectocele and diverticulitis
- Complex hernial surgery for antireflux, paraesophageal hernia, hiatal hernia, diaphragmatic hernia, and ventral, inguinal and incisional hernia
- Lung/thoracic surgery for resection of benign and malignant lung tumors
- Gynecologic surgery to treat ovarian masses, cancer and disease of the uterus
- Urologic surgery, such as prostatectomy
- General surgery to treat gallbladder disease and gastrointestinal tumors
- Single-incision surgery
How It Works
Though the system is often called a robot, the da Vinci cannot move or operate on its own; your surgeon* is always in control. First, your surgeon will make small incisions where cameras and surgical instruments are inserted through your body. Utilizing the da Vinci console to manipulate the instruments, your surgeon is able to view the surgical site via a highly magnified 3D image.
Typically, da Vinci surgical procedures result in:
- Less scarring
- Reduced pain
- Fewer complications
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery
da Vinci Xi at Vassar Brothers Medical Center and Northern Dutchess Hospital
The latest da Vinci technology is available at VBMC and NDH. The Xi is the most modern approach to robotic surgery and provides greater clarity and flexibility for your surgeon*. The benefits to the Xi include:
- Improved visual clarity
- Increased flexibility with greater range of motion
- Longer reach
View a video here to learn more.
daVinci® Robotic Surgical System at Putnam Hospital Center
The physicians at Putnam Hospital Center utilize the daVinci surgical system to perform minimally invasive surgical procedures, including general surgery, gynecologic surgery and urologic surgery. See below for a full list of surgeons who perform surgeries using the daVinci surgical system:
Janusz Rudnicki, MD*
Iris Wertheim, MD*
Adam Semegran, MD*
Carl Calica, MD*
Hansraj Sheth, MD*
Sheldon Axelrod, MD*
Mark Nogueira, MD*
Thomas Grimaldi, MD*
*In the spirit of keeping you well informed, the physicians identified are neither agents nor employees of Health Quest or any of its affiliate organizations. These physicians have selected our facilities as the place where they wish to treat and care for private patients.
Surgical Expertise Here in Your Community
You don’t need to leave the Mid-Hudson Valley region to find excellent surgical care. The talented surgeons* on the medical staff of VBMC, NDH and PHC have access to leading technology to treat a variety of conditions, and our compassionate surgical care teams will provide comprehensive support for you and your family before, during and after your procedure.
At NDH, VBMC and PHC, surgeons use the latest noninvasive procedures and advanced, minimally invasive surgical procedures — including the da Vinci® Surgical System, the latest advancement in da Vinci robotic technology — to treat anal, colon and rectal conditions.
- Removal of colorectal cancer and polyps. In many cases, patients can avoid the need for permanent stomas because of sphincter-preserving operations
- Robotic or laparoscopic transanal removal of anorectal polyps and/or cancer. This approach allows patients to avoid abdominal surgery
- Advanced laparoscopic or robotic surgery in areas affecting nerves that control sexual and defecatory function. Small incisions allow the surgeon to avoid damaging these critical nerves while minimizing bleeding
- Treatment for complex diverticular disease, including those with colovesical and colovaginal fistulas
- Pelvic surgery to treat rectal prolapse, rectocele and or enterocele
- Treatment for anal fistulas, anal fissures and perirectal abscesses
- Treatment for hemorrhoids, including the THD America procedure. THD America is offered as a minimally invasive outpatient procedure to reduce post-operative pain
- Treatment for ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease
- Parastomal hernia repair
- Treatment for inflammatory bowel disease
NDH, VBMC and PHC offer advanced surgical procedures to treat prostate and kidney cancers. These include:
- da Vinci® robotic prostatectomy
- Increases the likelihood for patients to recover completely from prostate cancer without long-term side effects
- May slow the spread of cancer and deliver a quicker return to potency and continence
- May result in significantly less pain, less blood loss, fewer complications and less scarring compared to traditional prostatectomy
- Bilateral, nerve-sparing, radical retropubic prostatectomy
- Offered to patients with clinically localized prostate cancer
- Considered the gold standard treatment approach
- Preserves the nerves responsible for erectile function
- Performed by surgeons* with extensive training and experience
- Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy
- Can be an option for patients with kidney cancer
- Removes the kidney through small "ports" using lighted telescopes, thereby avoiding the need for a large, painful incision
- Much less invasive than the standard "open" nephrectomy, providing patients with less pain, improved cosmetic appearance and a shorter hospital stay
- Nerve-sparing radical cystectomy and orthotopic neobladder
- Offered to the small percentage of patients with bladder cancer who cannot be cured with conservative therapy
- The cancerous bladder is replaced with an artificial bladder, created from contiguous segments of bowel
- This "neobladder" allows patients to live without a colostomy bag (a pouch connected to a stoma that collects waste)
General surgery focuses primarily on the abdominal organs and the torso and may be needed for conditions ranging from hernia to appendicitis. Health Quest surgeons typically use one of two minimally invasive surgical techniques: robotic da Vinci® Surgical System or laparoscopy. In some cases, a minimally invasive procedure is not an option for a patient, but our surgical care teams are highly experienced with open surgery as well.
Our comprehensive surgical care also includes dermatologic surgery for skin lesions, tumors, cysts and melanoma with sentinel node biopsy.
If you or a loved one receives a cancer diagnosis, you want surgical expertise and a compassionate care team to intervene quickly. The surgical oncology team at Health Quest Medical Practice and VBMC are skilled at the safe surgical removal of a variety of cancers. Surgeons are able to utilize minimally invasive techniques like laparoscopy and robotic-assisted surgery to reduce pain and scarring and help you heal more quickly.
- Breast From sentinel lymph node biopsy to a range of mastectomies including nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, the surgeons* on the staff of VBMC are skilled in the latest breast conservation techniques. The Dyson Breast Center at VBMC is staffed by a caring and compassionate breast surgical care team that specializes in surgical resection of breast cancer.
- Colorectal and Anal: Colon and rectal surgery is offered at VBMC to remove colorectal cancer and polyps. In many cases, our surgeons can perform sphincter-preserving operations that allow patients to avoid the need for permanent stomas. Our surgeons also offer robotic or laparoscopic transanal procedures to remove anorectal polyps and or cancer, allowing patients to avoid abdominal surgery.
- Esophageal: VBMC treats esophageal cancer with a wide range of surgical procedures, including:
Esophagectomy and Esophagogastrectomy can be performed to remove the part of the esophagus with cancer as well as any lymph nodes and parts of the stomach that might be affected.
- Gynecological: Gynecologic cancer specialists use advanced technology like da Vinci® Robotic Surgery for:
- Less scarring
- Reduced pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- The da Vinci hysterectomy is one of the most effective and least invasive treatment options for gynecologic cancer, particularly for partial or radical hysterectomy.
- Thoracic: VBMC is one of the only hospitals in the region to treat a wide range of malignant lung and esophageal tumors, and our surgeons use advanced techniques like Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS) and the zz Surgical System. You can go into surgery with confidence that these leading-edge approaches provide your surgeon with greater vision, dexterity and precision compared to standard minimally invasive techniques.
Orthopedic Surgery, including MAKOPlasty®for Hip and Knee.
From a total hip or knee replacement to complex spine surgery to delicate hand surgery, you and your family have access to a wide range of leading-edge procedures to treat pain and restore mobility. VBMC and PHC also perform minimally invasive arthroscopic procedures for sports-related injuries.
VBMC and PHC offer innovative minimally invasive MAKOplasty® total hip replacement and MAKOplasty® partial knee resurfacing:
- Improved mobility with a shorter recovery time compared to traditional surgeries
- Performed using the highly advanced, surgeon-controlled RIO® Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopedic System
- RIO® allows surgeons* to achieve a new level of accuracy in alignment and positioning, which means your surgery is more likely to be successful and your implant may last longer
Vascular disease ranges from carotid artery disease and abdominal aortic aneurysms to deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and blood circulation problems caused by diabetes. To treat vascular disease, we offer a range of advanced procedures, most of which are minimally invasive:
- Endovenous laser ablation (EVLA) for vein abnormalities
- Vein excision/phlebectomy
- Vein stripping
- Fistula creation for hemodialysis access
- Graft insertion for hemodialysis access
- Minimally invasive treatment for cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) for patients with multiple sclerosis
- Minimally invasive treatment for peripheral artery disease (angioplasty and stent placement)
Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery
With expert physicians and advanced technology for minimally invasive sinus surgery, NDH offers complete ear, nose and throat care. Conditions treated include sinus pain, allergies, ear and throat infections, thyroid problems, headaches and vision problems. Procedures include:
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Balloon sinuplasty
- Pediatric ear tube surgery
- Tonsil and adenoid surgery
At VBMC, cardiothoracic surgeons have experience performing a full range of advanced surgical interventions and are prepared to handle the most complex cardiac conditions. Procedures performed include transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), mitral valve repair and replacement, and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) ligation in premature babies.
Hand surgery is delicate work, so the hand surgeons at Health Quest may use a variety of techniques to get the most precise result for their patients:
- Metacarpal arthroplasty (CMA) is a short outpatient procedure used to treat arthritis of the thumb, a common but especially painful condition.
- The small arthritic bone called the trapezium is removed.
- Tendons are rerouted to act as a spacer or cushion between the arthritic thumb bone and the rest of the wrist bones.
- The result is usually significant pain relief as well as restoration of motion.
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel release is a microsurgery, which means that a tube containing a camera is inserted through a tiny incision in the wrist to help the surgeon precisely cut the ligament that is pressing down on the carpal tunnel.
- Performed under local anesthesia
- Takes about ten minutes
- Can be done on an outpatient basis
- Full use of your hands within a day
Neurointerventional procedures are minimally invasive, image-guided procedures that treat brain, neck and spine conditions. A highly specialized doctor called a neurointerventional surgeon is always available 24/7 at VBMC to treat emergency conditions, such as stroke. Neurointerventional surgery can be used to treat:
VBMC offers advanced neurosurgical procedures, including computer navigation brain surgery, awake brain mapping and minimally invasive spine surgery to help relieve pain.
Weight Loss Surgery
Bariatric surgery, offered at PHC, includes advanced laparoscopic techniques performed by board certified bariatric surgeons. Led by nurses, nutritionists and physical therapists who will guide you from pre-surgery through recovery, this team is dedicated to improving your overall health and well-being for long-term results.