Become a Vassar Brothers Medical Center volunteer.
Vassar Brothers Medical Center welcomes caring individuals to be a part of our team of volunteers. Join us as we continue to grow to meet the growing needs of our community!
See below for a few examples of our volunteer positions, then download an application and send it in.
Patient Care Opportunities
- Discharge Concierge: Discharge patients from units, escort patients and visitors throughout the hospital and assist on patient units as needed. Must be able to push wheelchair and walk/stand for short periods of time. Hours needed are Monday to Friday, 1:30 PM to 5:00 PM.
- Patient Care Areas: Assist our professional and paraprofessional staff with delivering excellent patient care.
- Patient Registration (Escort): Help make our newest patients comfortable as they go through registration for presurgical testing, same day surgery or general admission.
- Operating Room Liaison: Communicate with patients’ families and friends who await news from the operating room about their loved one.
Non-Patient Care Opportunities
- Gift Shop: Assist with sales, stock and deliveries in our wonderful shop run by the VBMC Auxiliary.
- Clerical: Assist a hospital department with typing, copying, filing and answering phones.
Become a Volunteer
We make every effort to match your interests to ensure a successful volunteer experience. All volunteers are carefully screened, processed and placed in appropriate assignments. This process includes the initial interview with the Manager Volunteer Resources, a medical clearance, reference checks, a criminal background check, drug screening, and attending a mandatory orientation.
We offer a summer student volunteer program for our high school students and college students interested in a healthcare career; you must be 16 years old by June 1, 2017. There is a minimum commitment of 50 hours for the summer (July-August); one day per week for 8 hours a day. All student volunteering is patient care either on the nursing floors or as a discharge concierge in addition to performing clerical work or working in the gift shop when not needed in the patient care areas.
The 2017 Summer Student Volunteer Program is now full; please consider applying next year.
Email the completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
Vassar Brothers Medical Center
45 Reade Place
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
If you have any questions, please call the Volunteer Resources Office at (845) 431-5664.
Join the VBMC Auxiliary
Another great way to serve is to join the Vassar Brothers Medical Center Auxiliary, founded in 1915.
By organizing, coordinating and conducting activities that benefit both Vassar Brothers Medical Center and the community, the Auxiliary strives to promote community support while raising needed funds.
Among the Auxiliary’s activities are:
- The Gift Shop, located in the main lobby of Vassar Brothers Medical Center
- Spring and Winter Luncheon events
- Commemorative brick sales for VBMC's “Walkway of Hope”
- A variety of sales held throughout the year at the hospital, including seasonal flower sales